Here you can find some of the most frequently asked questions from our patients and our accompanying responses.
- What should I do if I have bad breath?
Everyone has bad breath from time to time, and for various reasons. The most common cause is microbial deposits on the tongue, especially in the back. Other causes include:
- Morning time
- Potent foods
- Poor dental hygiene
- Tooth decay
- Dry mouth (xerostimia)
- Tobacco products
- Dehydration and hunger
- Certain illnesses and medical conditions
You can treat and prevent bad breath by practicing proper oral hygiene habits, visiting the dentist regularly, ceasing smoking and chewing tobacco, drinking plenty of water, and using mouthwash. If you have good oral health but persistent bad breath, we encourage you to speak with Dr. Stephen M. Dang, who may refer you to a physician to determine the cause and necessary treatment.
- How often should I brush and floss?
Brushing and flossing control the bacteria and plaque on your smile.
- Toothbrushing: Brush your teeth at least twice a day (particularly before bed) with an ADA-approved toothbrush. Clean every angle of your smile, including the gums and your tongue.
- Flossing: Floss every day to remove plaque and food particles from between the teeth. Use string or a floss stick, and gently floss up and down using sawing motions.
- Rinsing: Rinse your mouth with water after meals and after brushing your teeth. Consult with the dentist to determine if a mouth rinse solution would be ideal.
- Are amalgam (silver) fillings safe?
Many patients and dental professionals have expressed concern about amalgam fillings, which are a blend of silver, zinc, tin, and copper bound by mercury. This combination has been used for over a century, but some claim it emits mercury vapors that can lead to health problems. However, the ADA has not discovered a credible link between silver fillings and medical disorders.
If you are concerned about the health effects or look of silver fillings, we would be happy to recommend composite or porcelain fillings as an alternative. Speak with our dentist today about your options.
- How often should I have a dental cleaning and exam?
We encourage you to visit the dentist at least twice a year for a dental checkup, though we may suggest more frequent visits if you have an existing oral condition that needs regular care. Dental checkups help prevent dental issues and maintain your oral health. During your visit, we will evaluate your smile for oral cancer, tooth decay, periodontal disease, and more, and we will remove any lingering plaque and tartar on your teeth. We will also review your medical history and dietary habits to help Dr. Stephen M. Dang and our team predict your oral health patterns.
- How can I know if I have gingivitis or periodontitis?
Many adults have periodontal disease and are unaware that anything is wrong. The early stage is painless and often does not show symptoms. It can be caused by poor oral hygiene, smoking, chewing tobacco, certain medications, hormonal changes, systemic diseases, and even genetics.
- Puffy, red, bleeding gums
- Pus around the gums and teeth
- Persistent bad breath
- Loose teeth
- Gum recession
- New spaces between teeth
- Why is dental floss important?
While brushing removes the majority of bacteria and plaque from the teeth, it cannot access the deposits that accumulate between the teeth and under the gum line. Flossing cleans these spaces and disrupts colonies of plaque, preventing damage.
Using string or a floss stick, gently insert the floss between each set of adjacent teeth and use a sawing motion up and down the teeth, cleaning each side.
- How can cosmetic dentistry improve my smile
Today, there are many options for improving your smile and enhancing the color, shape, and overall appearance of your teeth. We are pleased to offer the following services at Main Street Dental:
- Teeth whitening
- Tooth-colored fillings
- Porcelain dental veneers
- Porcelain dental crowns
- Dental implants
- What are porcelain veneers, and how can they improve my smile?
Porcelain dental veneers are thin cosmetic shells that are shaped to cover the front surface of your teeth to enhance the beauty of your smile. They correct flaws such as:
- Stained or severely discolored teeth
- Worn or chipped teeth
- Misshapen teeth
- Teeth that are too long or short
- Unwanted or uneven spacing
- What can I do about stained or discolored teeth?
Teeth whitening is the number-one requested cosmetic dental service in today’s world. It is a simple, conservative treatment that dissolves stains and discoloration to whiten and brighten your teeth. At Main Street Dental, we offer ZOOM whitening to help you achieve dramatic results, and we encourage you to meet with our dentist to determine if your smile is healthy enough for teeth whitening.
If you have further questions about your dental healthy in Alhambra, California, please feel free to contact our office today. We would be happy to speak with you and address your concerns.